Sunday, October 09, 2005

I need a job ;-;

Some of you might be sick of hearing about my job-hunting exploits for the past couple of months and probably wish I stopped talking about it - ME TOO!

I had five interviews last week but I had to reschedule three of them because of a bus strike.

Two of them were for web design companies, one was for a data entry job, one was an office job and the last one was for a retail job.

I've been offered the data entry job and I've accepted it - but it doesn't start for another two weeks so I'm going to see how these other interviews go and if I'll get a better offer! It's £7-£10 an hour but the hours are from 10pm-6am x_x

The web design company i went to on Tuesday, Milestone, was interesting - it was my first ever interview!! I think it was disaster ;_; They tell you always be positive and never say you can't do anything.. it felt like I couldn't do anything and I had virtually nothing to show him!!

He got me to work on some sites he was developing to see what I could do - and I was working SO SLOWLY >_< I think it's a combination of nerves and the fact that I've only been using Flash and Illustrator for doing personal bits and pieces for the past 6 months... I had to figure out how to use Dreamweaver again x_x

I've worked there for a total of 2 days - two afternoons and one full day - and he's only mentioned in passing something about a trial or training period and he'll look into the New Deal (a government scheme that pays employers to employ a person who has been looking for work for over 6 months). I hope he gives me an offer soon but will it be more than £7/hour? XD

I'm so conflicted right now.. I DESPERATELY need money but I also really want a job that I'll enjoy..

Web design isn't a simple 9-5 job either - you have to work odd hours and often take your work home with you - which is another problem because I have to work for my parents at 5pm because they can't afford to hire anybody!

I really can't decide! Can't someone decide for me?! XD

Ok, I'm going to list the Pros and Cons of each job:

Graphic/Web designer:
Pros - it's a job a really want to do and i know i'll love doing it
Cons - working after 5pm, taking work home, it might be poorly paid because I'm inexperienced

Data Entry
Pros - £7-£10 per hour
Cons - horrible hours, mindless work, no job security, no resposibilty (is this also a pro? lol)

Retail
Pro - err.. i guess the hours are ok
Cons - i'll hate it, it pays sod all

Office job
Pro - the hours are good, i can carry on working for my parents in the evenings, there's little responsibilty so i don't have to bring my work home
Cons - i'll be an OL!! (Office Lad)


So far the Data Entry job and office job are looking pretty good. I really want the designer jobs but i can't work odd hours and they probably won't pay very well because i have no experience...

The only reason I can take the Data Entry job is because that's when my parents' shop closes... I'll be a night worker! I'll be working 2 jobs!! I'll be sleeping during the day and working at night ;-;

Maybe if I take the data entry job, save up the money to buy the computer programs I need and then I can become self-employed! It's another possibility but it sounds scary and complicated.

Hopefully this will all be decided by the end of next week after I've attended all the interviews..

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Story said...

i would need legitimate copies of the programs wouldn't I?

=X

Story said...

i just had a thought!

there are plenty of free html editors - i don't have to use dreamweaver

Swish is a cheap alternative to Flash - there's also a free version of Toon Boom Studio with the latest issue of Computer Arts!

Instead of Photoshop I can use Paint Shop Pro!

there's nothing stopping me from going freelance right now!! :0

i think i might ask my job centre advisor about how to become self-employed

ugh! I just remembered reading in an issue of Computer Arts that you should hire an accountant - my parents are self-employed and they usually get me or my older brother to fill in the tax returns..

i hate paperwork! that's why it would be so much easier just being employed by somebody ._.