Sunday, October 09, 2005

I need another computer!

The first big purchase after I've got a job is definately a new computer. I've got two brothers and we only have 2 computers so it's not working out very well.

We've actually got a third computer that we bought in 1997, but we don't use it anymore because it's horrible and slow. It's kinda funny, I was still using it when I first started my Interactive Multimedia course at university in 2001, and I failed one of my projects because of it >_<

The thing only had a 1GB hard-drive - i had no room to install anything on there and it was slow as hell! The project I failed was about Flash - which is a bit ironic since it's now one of my strong points. I was so naive back then - I had no idea how where to get copies of the software or cracks for the trial versions.

I think it was also at a time where not everyone had a cd writer and people were afraid of copying the cds on the school computers XD I'd be directed to sites where they downloaded the software but I was on a 56k connection at home and there's no way i'm going to risk downloading programs and cracks at school XD

So, I ended up not finishing the flash animation because the trial version of Flash 5 ran out and I got a bad grade - i can laugh about it now lol...

I was a local student - a townie you might say - so i didn't live on or near the campus (maybe i should be called an "out-of-townie" lol) i couldn't really stay to use the computers in the evenings because i have to work for my parents >_<

When my student loan came through that November I went out and bought the most powerful machine i could get - I'm using it right now! I've been upgrading it and everything but I think it's time for a new one. The semester after that, i got broadband and i've never looked back! lol 56k should be outlawed!

The next year at around the same time, my new computer crapped out! What was I going to do! All my work was on there and it was a few weeks from the end of the semester deadline!

I went out and bought a laptop with my student loan...

Luckily I had backups of my work on disc, but I was without a computer for over a week so a few projects were rushed and I only got 7/15 for one of them ;(

It turned out that the power supply had blown and i just need a new one >_<

So that's the story of how I got my two computers. They've both crashed several times since then and one time with tragic, life-changing results ;-; But I'll leave that story for another day - tomorrow maybe, but let's finish this one..

We have two computers between three people and it's not working out. My house is not a democracy. Since I'm the only one without a job, I don't get to use the computers whenever I like. I can't help pay the bills or the broadband connection so they always use that against me. But I'm the only one who helps with the family business!! ;-;

You might be asking why I haven't just gone for a retail job sooner - that's a good question lol I don't know. Whenever I was at the job centre, every week they just said "Sorry, no design jobs today. Better luck tomorrow!" or something to that effect haha...

When they put me on the New Deal scheme they said I can't be choosy anymore - I have to go for any job they put infront of me.. mostly admin jobs. I've even signed up to 3 different agencies but still nothing. I apply to the admin jobs and I get rejected because I'm probably too old, over-qualified or not a woman (they probably want a female secretary to make their tea <_< ).

On that course I went on, I was advised to "dumb-down" my CV for office jobs - if they only require GCSEs (highschool qualification) then don't put that you have a degree on there! and it worked! it got me my first reply!

Er.. I've gone off track.. where was I? ^^; Oh yeah, once I get a job I can buy another computer and then there'll be no squabbling \:D/

1 comment:

roclin said...

Thank you for your wonderful site. Although I did not find admin jobs as a directmatch to your site, I did however enjoy the career advice from other posts.
Thanks again for being here!